Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Home, at last!

So the first two days of this week were interesting. We were still at Wellbound, but largely on our own. Monday, the Venous buttonhole was a ... butt, and wouldn't let us use a blunt. Tuesday, I'm grumbling about it on the drive down, and hubby is trying to kinda cheerlead me into being positive about it. We arrive, and we are all alone during set up completely. (This is good, very good). I prepare, and pop his arterial in like flynn, and reach for the venous, knowing it won't work, but going to give it the old college try. I'm all prepared as I'm sliding it through the track to call for a nurse so we can go with a sharp when what?! Wait. Is that a FLASH I see in is tube?! Blood? How the...? Nevermind.

So I get him hooked up (by myself) and we have a fairly uneventful run. Minor alarms, because the bags were not balanced well (PureFlow wasn't happenin today.) Nothing major. So, HOME. We decide it's time to go home. That's where the adventure begins. :)

First, I must pack up ALL the stuff we've carted down there. A large camping cot. A big comforter. An egg crate mattress pad. A few small throw blankets. Pillows. Jackets. Books. A few more supplies. But enough of that.

Tuesday night, my Dad sets up the water tap under the kitchen sink. We get all manner of fancy, drilling a hole so it can come through the bottom rather than having to just hang out the door. Then, we set up the drain line. There is NO good way to get it from it's temporary location in my living room to a drain without it being tripped on all the time, so, we drill a hole in the floor, and drop the line down into a drain in my basement!

Great! Now, to prime the PAK. I whip out my trusty manual, and in the allotted 2.5 hours, my PAK is happy and ready. SWEET! Now, to make a batch.

I'm SURE at this point I'm gonna fly through this stuff with flying colors, a breeze, really. No trouble at all. So I open a new SAK, situate it in the tub, make the connections, etc etc. And hit 'Go'. And go, it does. I happily listen to the sounds of it making a new SAK for a few hours before bed, then, go to bed. That's when my dreams of all this ease were shattered.

At 3:30 am, hubby pokes me and says 'Is that the machine alarming?' (It's not in our bedroom, so it's slightly distant.) I kinda rouse, and yep, yep it is. So, out I go to see what's going on. I have a fluid leak error. Okay. Flip the book open. Flip to handling this error. 'Check for leaks'. Okay. When I open the door to the PureFlow, I know something is wrong, because water drips just a wee tiny bit onto the floor. When I tug on the tub to pull it out some so I can have a gander, I REALLY know something is wrong when water SLOSHES out on the floor. My tub is full. Half the fluid is in the bag, half in the tub itself. Oy. I decide since I have to use bags the next day anyhow, I shall return to sleep and deal with it in the morning. That didn't work out so well. It took me awhile to fall back asleep, and then, because I hadn't thought to turn the PureFlow off, it reminded me a few times that it had a leak. Back up for good at 6am.

I work at taking it down, lugging the giant bag out, and bailing out the tub. Then decide to call NxStage. When I tell her what happened, she tells me to check my connections REALLY well when I put a new one in, and call if there's trouble.

And trouble there was. Sorta. :) This time, when I put the SAK in, I watched for awhile. Imagine my surprise when the water was dripping from somewhere that doesn't HAVE a connection.

For those who've never used it, on a new SAK, there are two lines that have been crimped, on purpose, during storage. You uncrimp them, and slide this little piece over them to keep them straight.

Well. I looked at them closely, and looked at the other one that was still in the sink, and lo and behold, BOTH of those were damaged. The crimps were just there too long, or what have you, but both SAKS had  damaged tubing! So, when the nurse arrived today (she was aware of the issue) I hollered from my porch 'HEY!!! It was NOT me! It's was bad SAKS!!" Cause, somehow, that makes it all better, dontcha know?



So. She arrives and I finish connecting the bags. (Hanging those bags sucks, really bad.) and we get ready to put Johns needles in. I put his Arterial blunt in with no problem, and flush it back with a wee tiny bit of Heparin because it's been known to clot while I'm dorking around with the venous. But the venous, oh that damn venous. John was a super trooper while I poked around with not one, not two, but THREE blunts. No dice. Then the three of us decide that -I- will do the sharp, because well, I'm gonna have to, aren't I? No dice.

Finally, the nurse put in a sharp, and we were off with fantastic pressures. We only ran two hours because his positioning was really  uncomfortable, and with sharps, you just can't move. She's going to come tomorrow just to be here while I get him needled, then she's leaving, because the rest is pretty much cake.

And you'll be thrilled to know that the PureFlow is humming happily to make a batch. :) So no bags tomorrow and hopefully, no 3:30 am alarms!

NxStage delivery is tomorrow, and we are expecting 35 boxes. Which is not bad, since your first delivery is always bigger. The NxStage lady even said we could store the extra bags in the garage, since we won't use them often. But the box says not to store them above 86 degrees, so I'm unsure.  I shall post photos after all the supplies are in. :)

2 comments:

  1. Yay for being home!

    Also, since I'm totally unfamiliar with this stuff - A batch of WHAT?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted a response. :) (New post.)

    I don't always do a very good job of explaining the 'shop talk'.

    ReplyDelete