Friday, March 23, 2012

Days 10 & 11

Were both very good. :) Little technical difficulties, but those are actually GOOD at this point, because I get to learn how to deal with them in reality, rather than in theory.

We went in a little early today (Day 11) because the nurse who has been working on the buttonhole for his venous had an appointment, and we all wanted her to stick it. Which she did, perfectly. Although the damn needle goes STRAIGHT down. We were able to use a blunt in his arterial today! YAY! Now the venous, and we could come hoooooome.

We went over alarms and the like, but for the most part honestly, we just were there doing his dialysis instead of at home. Still love having back up, but I'm less afraid of the machine, and better at not getting too jumpy when it dings at me. We had odd '8' alarms today and yesterday both, that left us all scratching our heads. (For those who aren't familiar with NxStage, an '8' is yellow, and essentially means 'Hey, I've checked this out, and everything is going juuuuuuust fine.' It also doesn't typically make NOISE.) Our '8' is, from time to time, beeping at me.

I even got a '5' alarm, remembered what it was, and remembered what to DO about it. Magically, I knew to mute it, and to raise his dialysate because we were no longer pulling fluid.

We've taken off exactly 10 Kilos since we switched from PD to Hemo. I'm gonna call that another sign that this will be a better modality for us.

Hubby was once again a trooper. He even dozed quite a bit on and off during treatment, although he and I both worried he'd flinch his arm in his sleep, and we do still have that dratted venous sharp in. I played with the blunt a little today, because they still LOOK sharp, but it wouldn't pierce my glove with a healthy dose of pressure, so that's reassuring.

And now, for the weekend off. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment